Dec 23, 2025

HEDONISTIC MOTIVES

 - I go to the beach

Not just because I have to measure the tide

    or take samples of the sand back to the laboratory

        or study the sea life

But I go there to swim with long strokes, circling freely with my arms

    to feel the ocean breeze and cool splash of water

        to listen to laughing seagulls and children.


- I eat this meal

Not just because I have to ingest proteins, vitamins, water, calories

necessary to sustain life

    or participate in customary activity to be courteous

        or even to maintain self-discipline in daily routine

But my mouth waters - happily, effortlessly

    when I chomp into the juicy steak and buttery potatoes

        when I become momentarily oblivious to all other senses.


Altho' of a different category,

- I am a Christian

Not just because I have to uphold exemplary standards of moral living

    or think of it as defining my religious persuasion

        or even to please God

But because He is MY TREASURE and I get to revel in

the power, joy, freedom He affords my day

    because He works to please ME

        because then I can live life to the -nth degree


...to ENJOY!