One morning when I asked my Alma Mater’s Alumni Association to help me get in touch with a former roommate, I was told: “Unfortunately, we do not have any current contact information about her on our database.”
She's not in the records? My freshman year in college, my junior roommate had encouraged me. When I stayed out of school sick, she kept writing. And when I graduated and left for the mission field in 1985, her parents supported me. My sister decided to dig deeper.
We found out my roommate had herself become a missionary to Togo, West Africa, and after serving there a while had also gone to a school in Alaska, where she was honored as Teacher of the Year 2000. She was married and traveled with her husband in the Coast Guards until hospitalized with brain tumor her last few years on earth, and she went to Glory in 2012.
The alumni association was informed of the above information about their graduate…although no longer in their database, perhaps.
But a staff worker sent a thank you message immediately: “It is so encouraging to hear that she lived out her life as passionately for the Lord, as she did while in college. It is truly amazing how God so graciously uses us to reach into the lives of those around us for the glory of His name. And I pray that I live as faithfully and lovingly. At the end of the day that is all that I can do, take each day as a gift, and not squander the opportunities that He gives to lovingly touch those lives that intersect with my own.”
Our God keeps eternal records.