Sep 2, 2025

Devotional NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

1. Many say, “I will such-and-so.” But is that what we really need to be changing this coming year? Do those around me see it that way too?

2. What does God say? How many of us have asked God? I mean, really asked Him. Not just mouthed, “What’s Your will this year, God? Whatever I decide, right?”

3. But what if it’s not merely changing 20 to 30 or inaction to action? What if God says, “To tell you the truth, that’s not the area of your life I wanted you exerting your efforts into this coming year.”

1. It is true: “If you aim at nothing, you’re sure to hit it.” But if you aim at a wrong object, there’s danger you’ll hit it, too. Red Cross says it’s better to do nothing than to exacerbate injury. Can’t some New Year’s Resolutions be doing just that? Some people, hearing others’ resolutions, may cringe inside, thinking, “No! Please not that!”

A Christian man resolves to go to church more faithfully and give himself to the church . His family is starving for his personal attention.

A teenager resolves to lose weight and to clear up her complexion. She is already dangerously underweight; her skin and hormones are things only adolescence will outgrow.

An ambitious employee resolves to make a specific project succeed this year. His boss would rather have him do routine work neatly, be on time, or be less extravagant when traveling under company expenses.

New Year’s Resolutions. Have I asked others before forming them?

2. Quite a few people talk about “seeking God’s Will”. But I’ve also heard people say: “That’s why God gives us our brains, our thoughts. Those are from Him, His Will.” Eeeeeeee. I know what they’re trying to say, but that’s not how it works. It goes the other way around. We let God rule and He gives us counsel when we are submissive to Him. It is doubtful He will voice His will to one who has set himself up as the authority of what it is.

  The person listening for the voice of God will hear it disguised in even the critical, complaining subordinate with a wrong attitude; a young believer who is much too enthusiastic and goes overboard; or a rickety old saint who has the wrong perspective. He will glean it from even these and not demand the messenger deliver God’s truth in the proper spirit. The person listening for God’s voice thanks people for correction and rebuke--can it not be said this is rare today.

   New Year’s Resolutions. Am I admitting lacks and willing to change—thus resolving to do so--or are am I just broadcasting what an admirable person I am becoming? 

3. It is true God may not want a person to lose 20 pounds, only 10; but what if it’s a specific habit He would rather have him shed, not excess body fat at all? Again, a person may be willing to do whatever God wants done in a specific relationship; whether it be to attempt reconciliation, encourage initiative, or not tangle with a certain difficulty. But what if God wants that relationship forsaken altogether to pursue Himself?

New Year’s Resolutions. Have I told God which area of my life needs work?

OHHHH…I had to “put my parking brake on” for a little while and think. It wasn’t like just changing lanes, shifting gears. But I realized God wanted me, in a sense, to stop the car; switch off the ignition completely; give Him the keys; get out.

“Good.” He said. “Now let me take you to My air strip.”