The barista saw that half-breed every noon, standing on the corner across the street, waiting until everyone was gone then coming over and ordering her daily cup. Hiding behind that thick scowling mask and loud costume seemed to be a lonely, guarded female in survival mode, but Jake wordlessly poured her coffee then left her alone.
He remembered that day however, when someone new to the neighborhood stepped into the cafe. The whole place was empty, but he chose the stool...next to the customer who HATES social interaction!
She seemed startled at first but didn't dislike it, and responded to his greeting.
They were actually talking for a little bit. She seemed to get animated. Jake wondered if they knew each other from before. Who knows what happened next, but she jumped off her stool and flew out of the shop, leaving her coffee untouched.
"What did you say?!" Jake rushed over and asked the stranger; "Did you hurt her feelings?"
"No!" Someone standing at the door answered, coming in. She wanted to stay longer but wanted to go call friends and neighbors right away." I happened to be coming, and she crashed into me on her way out.
Turning to the stranger, he said, "She said, 'He knows EVERYTHING ABOUT ME but still cares about me and will give me everlasting life. She says I MUST hear what you have to say. She sounded pretty mixed up, but by what I saw in her (and this is the most I have seen her talk), I think I want to hear anything you have to say. LAY IT ON ME, BRO!"
5, 10 minutes later, there were streams of curious folk pouring into JAKE'S CAFE, all friends and neighbors who wanted to see this stranger who could've caused their foreigner friend to change so much.
Yes, you probably got it. This is the story of the woman at the well (Jn. 4:5-39), told in modernized version...the barista? There was no barista in Jesus' day...Jacob was long gone.
Oh-oh; now readers will remember the barista, and not what happened at the coffee shop!
She left her pot to go call her friends, relatives, neighbors