Back in 1989, when my husband disappeared, and we got back together for Christmas that year, I remember feeling, "FINALLY!" And it had only been 9 months.
I remembered at BJU, one of the assignments for Old Testament Survey was to read the entire Testament through. The teacher said man had to see his utter sinfulness; then the New Testament would come with the arrival of a Savior. I remember beginning at Genesis and seeing man getting worse and worse, and he was so wicked by the end of the book...AND THIS IS ONLY GENESIS? There are 38 more books? How much worse does he have to get before he sees he needs a Messiah?! And I cried.
Thousands of years pass, then the New Testament comes and Jesus is finally born.
It occurred to me in '89, as strongly as my "Finally" felt to me, it had been only nine months. God had waited thousands of years before seeing a way provided for reconciliation with sinful man! No wonder, I said, a THRONG of angels song! NO WONDER!
Since then, "Angels We Have Heard on High" has carried a new meaning for me. When Jesus was born, not only was man given a Savior; God in Heaven was full of joy at the prospect of being reunited with lost man again! FINALLY.