Nov 2, 2025

GARDEN TIME

I call devotions "Garden Time" now. I got to the place where I was enjoying it TOO much, wanting to "stay in the garden" and "short circuit" with blessing...instead of listening to the Lord's voice to "leave the garden" and "magnetize" others to Himself (sorry about the mixed metaphors!)

This morning, I realized, in this age of cell phones, we Christians have "portable" "gardens" too to carry around all day - SONGS! Instant worship, instant praise, instant prayer, instant fellowship, instant emotional intimacy...even if the mad rush of the day cannot afford LONG CONCENTRATED time blocks, singing only takes a few moments! YES!

(Of course, while all this is provided for our hearts' enjoyment, a diet of ONLY songs will result in a shallow soul, needing instant gratification!) I'd made the addition in my own notebook and needed to write it here as well. I'd also noted the following:

Songs, by themselves, will only add; there really should be scripture so memorized that the hymns themselves bring echoes of that inspired word! (Often that works on reverse too, since songs can holp with scripture memorization.) 

Something that came to me last night: I thot I dreaded housework. Long story short--IF that housework time is enjoyed, not for itself, but for the melodies hummed and praises sung during that time, it can actually become an EXTENSION of "Garden Time" begun in the early morning! Then, I can enjoy time in the Word almost all day AND NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT IT; after all, I'm taking care of all other responsibilities in the meantime too! Added plusses: 1. Place will always be presentable for unexpected ministry; 2. The family benefits if it's clean and straightened; 3. I will feel better.

So...will go "portable gardening" now. Bye!

    Washing while I whistle,

    Pressing while I praise,

    Sweeping while I sing,

    Brightening home and heart!