Nov 13, 2025

THIMBLES

I told you about poking myself with the needle when working on Raymond's gym clothes. I remember wishing for a thimble then. My first thought when looking at thimbles was about how bulky and restrictive they were, how I never wanted to put stuff like that on my finger when sewing! But now I see that with it, you're not afraid of poking yourself so can sew with much more ease of mind and speed. Trials God may choose for us, altho' they seem uncomfortable and undesirable at first glance, may actually be the protection and blessing we really need.

I think for American girls pondering spending life in Japan, it can apply to cultural surroundings, too.  Sometimes the very "do's and don't's, the can's and can't's, can be our guidelines to the "get-to's" God has for our greatest happiness! When things come up "Why can't I do this here in Japan?", remember, "maybe it's so I won't hurt myself and so I'll be more effective in being a living testimony for God's glory?"