Aug 22, 2025

New Testament LITTLE JERUSALEM DONKEY

 I am trying to picture Jesus on that day riding on a colt into Jerusalem.

I wonder if He went up to that donkey’s mother and told it to give up its foal to Him because He was the Son of God, and it was the privilege of any donkey to let Him ride it. And the poor little foal, shivering, was approached by its mother. Be strong. This is a duty. And a privilege. No, no, no; a thousand times no! My Savior wouldn’t have done it that way.

Wouldn’t Jesus have smiled at the tiny guy and even pet him a little, saying in a gentle voice, “It’s okay. I’m not going to hurt you, really.

Will you let me ride on your back a little bit? Please? That would mean so much to me. No—take your time to think about it; you don’t have to answer me right away.

I’m sorry for springing something on you all of a sudden like this. I know it’s not natural to put burdens back there, and you haven’t ever done that before, not since the day you came out of your mother’s womb! So I’m not in any hurry to get a response; and if you’re not sure, I’ll ask around for someone else who might be able to help until you think you can, ‘cuz…what, you can and you will?! Thank you! You sure? Thank you!”

The day of the Triumphal Entry. I am trying to picture Jesus acting like the Father needs Him for doing His will for the Kingdom…but He treats lightly all those around Him, expecting them to do what they do because it is their responsibility to serve God. No; He wouldn’t have done that.

Instead, I picture Jesus leaning down to that little donkey, reminding him, “I need you today! You can’t know how grateful I am you’re doing this for me! I wish I could repay you.” And the little guy, snorting out feelings of pride and happiness mixed with love, found himself determined not to wobble as he walked that day!

The village children were amazed. Wasn’t this that little donkey, the timid little fry that brayed all the time but turned tails and ran if you even touched its back? It looked like the one that had been bullied by the bigger ones so was too scared to come out with the others anymore. But it was letting Jesus ride it! What had Jesus done?

  There were hurt people too timid to come out into normal life. Could Jesus…do something for them too?

  “Hosanna!” (That means “Save us!”) It started out with one youth’s cry. An echo sounded. Soon, the donkey heard it from a gravelly alley, from the steps winding down the middle of Jerusalem, and soon it seemed lampposts were lighting up and waving palm branches and crying, “Hosanna to the Son of David!”

“You, my friend,” I imagine Jesus whispered to the donkey carrying him; “you started this, you know.”

END